SCOTUS ends Roe Jun 24, 2022

This ruling was leaked weeks in advance. So even though not a surprise, it remains quite a shock. It looks like an obvious move by authoritarian men to impose their will on women.

R #1 & t #2,
I've identified this Republican party hypocrisy before. Today's reversal is superlative hypocrisy.

"Conservative" means to favor tradition, and to favor individual citizen autonomy rather than government authority.

The anti-choicers pretend to be "pro-life". If that were true, why have they been blocking constructive gun control legislation generation after generation?

Directly: what other action in the entire history of the United States Supreme Court has U.S. federal government eliminated a Constitutional right in a single action? "Conservative"? - piffle -

"... the magnificently misnamed "neo-conservatives", are the most radical people in this town [Washington DC]" George Will / ABC-TV This Week July 16, 2006

con·ser·va·tive (kən-sûrvə-tĭv)
adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.
a.
Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.
b. Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.
5. Conservative Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political conservatism, especially in the United Kingdom or Canada.
6. Conservative Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.
7. Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.
n.

1. One favoring traditional views and values.
2. A supporter of political conservatism.
3. Conservative A member or supporter of a Conservative political party.
con·serva·tive·ly adv.
con·serva·tive·ness n.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.

Another "Christian" extremist who lied to Senate to get his seat on the court

Judge Who Banned Abortion Pill Hid Anti-Trans Christian Extremism from Senate

Matthew Kacsmaryk had his name removed from his own Texas Law Review article in a move former editor calls “unprecedented”

Republicans Are Torching Democracy to Deny Women Abortions

One year after Dobbs, GOP lawmakers in Ohio — and across the U.S. — are frantically trying to keep voters from weighing in on abortion
BY TESSA STUART

KIERRE MORGAN HAS had an abortion, but it was the abortion she didn’t have that transformed her into an activist. She was 17 and in denial, at first, about being pregnant at all. Under Ohio law, she needed permission to terminate her pregnancy, and — after considering whether she could use a fake ID — she finally had a conversation with her adoptive parents. They overruled her decision. “Their options were: I could have my daughter, and they would raise her, which was a big ‘No.’ …An absolute ‘No.’ Or I could have her and raise her — which I did. There was no other option.”

Her daughter is 29 now, and Morgan calls her her best friend (“I don’t know if she would say I’m her best friend,” she adds, laughing), but she would not wish the life they were forced to navigate on anyone. There were times she didn’t have enough money for food. They slept in homeless shelters and “in motels where there was prostitution outside the door, and there was blood inside the motel room,” she recalls. “You just look at it and you say: ‘This is what I wanted to prevent. I did not want my child to go through this.’”

Morgan’s experience struggling to survive after being unexpectedly saddled with a dependent is not the exception for women who find themselves in that situation; rather, it is the rule. For years afterward, a famous ten-year study showed, women who were denied abortions were less likely to be able to afford food, housing, or transportation than those who accessed abortion care. They had lower credit scores, carried more debt, and were more likely to experience bankruptcy and eviction, among other lasting ripple effects. Her own experience hardened Morgan’s resolve to do all she can to ensure that others don’t end up in the same circumstances. These days, that means volunteering with the coalition of groups campaigning to give Ohio voters the chance to weigh in on abortion laws in their state.

But Republican lawmakers, like Morgan’s parents all those years ago, have decided it doesn’t matter what Ohioans may want for their own futures — they’re in a position of power, and they plan to use it. In a bid to doom a ballot measure that would enshrine the right to an abortion in the state constitution, those lawmakers have called a special election in August in hopes that they can change the rules while most voters aren’t paying attention. And they’re not alone.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/
For decades, anti-abortion activists agitating for the end of Roe demanded the court return the issue of abortion “to the people.” But exactly one year after the Supreme Court issued its infamous ruling nullifying constitutional right to an abortion, Republicans across the country — including in many reliably conservative states — are confronting the fact that majorities of votes are not backing their extreme anti-abortion agenda. Instead of changing their policies to better reflect their constituents views, they’re working to make it harder for ...

Republicans had been scheming to reverse Roe for decades. SUCCESS!
Problem is the Dobbs decision is unpopular. AND because of the crowded presidential Republican primary field, women's right of choice may well be an issue of contention and debate among Republican candidates.
Leading Republicans may not be too pleased about this political hot potato SCOTUS has plopped in their laps. BUT !!

Biden may.

JhaL4xc.jpeg

LM S2 #7
Freakonomics, the co-authored book that recognized the correlation between Roe v. Wade and a nationwide reduction in violent crime. BUT !!
"Correlation is not causation." Dr. Alan Chartock

"Correlation is not causation." Dr. Alan Chartock
True - after all, there is a high positive correlation between the number of ice cream cones sold in New York City and the number of murders committed there. That does not mean that people are being bludgeoned to death with ice cream cones.

That said, the "Roe effect" is well known.

Slate

The Supreme Court Is Out of Control. This Is Our Best Hope.​

Molly Coleman and Jenny Hunter / Wed, July 3, 2024 at 10:00 AM EDT

The Supreme Court ended this term with a bonanza of terrible, antidemocratic decisions. On Monday, the justices tossed aside the fundamental principle that no one is above the law, declaring that presidents have between presumptive and total immunity from prosecution for official acts.

- ugh -
That's not good.
The article continues:
"This decision may make it impossible to hold former President Donald Trump accountable for trying to overturn the 2020 election ..."
The president has no role in that finalization process, thus any involvement Trump might have had in attempting to falsify if could not legitimately be deemed an "official act".
"... and will embolden him to abuse his power even more flagrantly if he is elected again."
Perhaps.
Trump would be term-limited, a practical lame duck on inauguration day. Thus no longer answerable to the electorate, Katie bar the door.

Any exacerbation that specific ruling has on a Trump 2nd presidential term may be negligible. After all, Trump has a four year record as president.
Trump isn't merely straddling the fence between wholesome and naughty.
Trump is a convicted felon, is ineligible to serve a 2nd term according to section #3 of the 14th Amendment, and has publicly committed to a dictatorship in the U.S. on day one.

Back