Lobster Ethics

titan

Much beef & poultry purchased by consumers in the U.S. is obtained by harvesting animals at or near maturity. Thus these animals if not eaten might otherwise live longer naturally.
Some question the ethics of this, and some among them exclude them from their own diet, their protest.

Lobsters are generally wild, and caught, trapped at sea.
It's a rough path, but such lobsters end up in the kitchen. And when it's time for dinner preparation the live lobster is dropped into a cauldron of boiling water.

Certainly an abattoir is no picnic for cattle. But innovations in recent decades have helped to make such slaughterhouse operations a little less horrifying to the cattle.

No similar amelioration for the lowly lobster.

What intellectual / ethical standards apply here? Is there a rational, plausible argument to be made one of these lines of slaughter is acceptable, but the others not?

Or does 3rd millennium ethics oblige us to all go vegan?

Spring forward

Alright t-man. Got any passion about veal? Some say the young calves are confined, essentially in stocks their entire life, on the premise it makes the veal taste better. Is there any limit?

I heard a story about an Asian delicacy, monkey brains. BUT !! The brain is eaten uncooked, with the live monkey mostly under the dining table, with naught but the top of the head to be seen through a hole in the table. I'm not sure how the skull is opened, but according to the story the brain of the live animal is then eaten, obviously killing the the animal. I don't know what they do with the rest of it. Probably not teach it to sing.

veal (vēl)
Share:​
n.
1. The meat of a calf.
2. also veal·er (vēlər) A calf raised to be slaughtered for food.

[Middle English veel, from Old French, from Latin vitellus, diminutive of vitulus, calf; see wet-2 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition copyright ©2022 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved. https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=veal

Thanks sear. I've heard of that monkey brain thing. Here's a source about it.
"In parts of China, the monkey’s brain is eaten raw. While it is most likely an urban legend, some people claim that monkeys’ brains are, or were, eaten from the head of a live monkey."
https://www.culinaryschools.org/blog/raw-monkey-brain
I wouldn't eat it. In fact, if there's a possibility of getting a disease line bovine spongiform encephelopathy, is it worth it? Not to me.

Back