Japan vows bns for Africa amid rising Chinese influence

Borg Refinery

Speaking virtually Saturday to a conference in Tunis focused on Japanese investment in Africa's development, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida pledged $30 billion (€30.1 billion) over three years in an apparent effort to counter China's rising influence on the continent.

Amid a "complex" geopolitical environment, Japan pledged the money as Africa bears the brunt of the disruptions caused to the global supply chain and inflationary prices.

The pledge comes as Beijing increases its influence in Africa with major investments. Observers have raised concerns about the long-term sustainability of some African nations' borrowing from China.

What did Kishida promise?

Kishida addressed the conference by live video after a recent positive COVID-19 test. In his address, he vowed, "Japan will invest both public and private funds worth $30 billion over the next three years" across the continent.

The prime minister said the funding "includes up to $1 billion in a new special quota to be established by Japan to promote debt consolidation reforms."

Kishida said Tokyo was prepared to finance up to $5 billion alongside the African Development Bank.

Of the funds, $300 million will co-finance the African Development Bank to boost food production as global supplies of grain and wheat fall well short of demand due to the war in Ukraine.

Another $100 million was earmarked for the host country, Tunisia, to mitigate the impacts of the pandemic.

Kishida also spoke of the need to protect the rules-based international order after Russia's invasion of Ukraine. (..)

The modern scramble for Africa could be reasonably described as "neo-colonial"; at the same time, pushing back against Chinese, Iranian, Saudi and Russian influence is important so it's a tough and no-win scenario.

China's approach impresses me. Problem is, it may carry daunting repercussions for the U.S. / West.
The U.S. sends out predator drones and wipes out wedding parties. China goes to 3rd world countries and helps them obtain safe drinking water, helps them build roads, etc.

I sincerely like China's way better.

"We can't kill them all. When I kill one, I create three." Lt. Col Fredrick Wellman

I wouldn't advocate the U.S. shun Niccolò Machiavelli entirely. But I believe it might be several steps in the correct direction to dial it back.
U.S. priorities are badly amiss. This latest NASA moon nonsense is a spectacularly bad idea.

During the Cold War, the "missile gap", etc, the U.S. demonstrating superior technological prowess may have deterred the Kremlin from taking a risky gamble that both sides would have lost.

The Cold War is over.
The U.S. simply can not afford these ridiculous space adventures. Not when Russia can shut down the U.S. commercial power grid in a finger snap. Lunacy!

"The modern scramble for Africa could be reasonably described as "neo-colonial"" Oran
That may be a near textbook assessment, snapshot of present day geopolitics.

However, Putin's model of military invasion and acquisition though long-tenured, is old fashioned, and increasingly outmoded.

Expanding territorial authority, sovereignty is the traditional method. However solidifying and expanding mutually beneficial trade and other relations may yield the benefits of conquest, but leave the drawbacks such as responsibility for paving roads, responding to disasters etc. to the trading partner's own resources. We get the benefits, they keep the problems.
Combine that with the modern benefits of a mutual defense pact like NATO, and it may be we're reaching the beginning of the end of warfare for such purpose.
Of course that may be replaced with resource wars, military combat over scarce, dwindling, essential resources as simple as potable water for residential consumption, agricultural irrigation, etc. Oran seems to be on the right track here. It's not merely that China, almost a fifth of the world's population, is rapidly gaining global influence. It's how China is expressing, exerting that influence as it ascends to global leadership.

Biden may have crammed his boot in his mouth on this one, declaring the U.S. would defend Taiwan.

China-Taiwan: Beijing speeding up plans for unification, Blinken says​

By Yvette Tan / BBC News
China is pursuing unification with Taiwan "on a much faster timeline" than previously expected, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said.
Beijing had decided the status quo was no longer acceptable, he said.
In Sunday's speech opening the Communist party Congress in Beijing, President Xi Jinping refused to rule out using force to unify with Taiwan.
China sees the self-ruled island as a part of its territory, but Taiwan sees itself as distinct from the mainland.
Last month US President Joe Biden said US forces would defend Taiwan in the event of a Chinese attack - despite the official US policy of ambiguity on the issue.

Lots of issues here, not least, is old Joe becoming a liability to his own administration? Do we really need this now? War with China?

BBC vs NBC

China softens Taiwan rhetoric as U.S. and Canadian warships sail through strait​

A Beijing official said the self-ruling island could have a “social system different from the mainland,” under a proposal for peaceful “reunification” with almost no public support.
By Reuters
BEIJING — China is willing to make the utmost effort to strive for a peaceful “reunification” with Taiwan, a Chinese government spokesperson said on Wednesday, following weeks of military maneuvers and war games by Beijing near the self-ruling island.

Alright t #5.
What's going on here? China waffling would explain it. But as you point out, the BBC has an impressive journalistic reputation. NBC's none to shabby either.

Is Secretary Blinken just out of touch? Basing his position on yesterday's information?

I wonder b #7.
Our secretary's briefings may filter through the Pentagon. I'm wondering if Blinken based that on the capabilities of China, which is what our military has to deal with, prepare for. BUT !!
Blinken may have grossly misjudged Chinese culture, and thus simply drawn the wrong conclusion.

The U.S. nuclear arsenal might be capable of blowing up half the world. That doesn't mean we shouldn't buy any green bananas.

Back