Human Quirks: Hobbies, Interests, Distractions, And Dealing With Them

sear

Administrator
Staff member
Many have experienced the distraction of the persistent recollection of a song, "I can't get that song out of my head."

Has that happened to you? Lately?

What did you do about it?

Though not typical of my private music collection, the 10cc track https://archive.org/details/10cc_20220316/12+-+I'm+Not+In+Love.mp3
recently, persistently came to mind.

So I gave it a listen while reviewing the lyric, to refresh my half-century old recollection.
10ccI'mNotInLove.JPG
I generally ignore rock lyrics, they're seldom Shakespeare.

In this case I had a look, partly in hope of expelling this vagrant distraction.
What I found is a sad tale of obvious denial, a direct violation of Hamlet's Polonius: "to thine own self be true"

The lyric doesn't disclose the motive for the internal hypocrisy. But it's keen warning against the peril of self-deception. For by falsely identifying the vexation, relief is subverted.

2024 is a presidential election year. And while each U.S. presidential election might seem to risk crisis resulting from unfortunate election outcome, a 2nd Trump term risks unimaginable peril.
Members of CitizenVoice understand that. But the world is much wider than that. There's more to being human than shuffling off to the polls once every four years.

You?
What are your distractions? What have you done about it?

sear, I'm not a 10 cc fan. Since vinyl I've found one way to get rid of a song stuck in my head, get a recording of the track even if it means buying the record. Somehow being able to play the song at will makes it easier to shut it down.

"sear, I'm not a 10 cc fan. Since vinyl I've found one way to get rid of a song stuck in my head, get a recording of the track even if it means buying the record. Somehow being able to play the song at will makes it easier to shut it down." t #2
t #2,
You've got me wondering about other consequences of recorded music.
A few centuries ago music, a song, might have been popular, familiar, yet only heard performed live, and thus never precisely the same twice. Did they get a tune "stuck"? What did they do about it?

Back