Halloween Candy: which to eat first? The worst first? The best first? Random?

sear

Administrator
Staff member
My brother in law was raised in a large family.
He learned to eat the best he could get, when he could get it. "Save it for later" usually meant a sibling would beat him to it.

But what about others? Only children, or those accustomed to a little more courtesy?

Momma said if you eat the one you like most (from those that remain), you'll always eat your favorite.

That runs counter to "save the best for last", the notion upon which dessert is timed (after the ordeal of cramming broccoli down the pie hole is endured).

What's right?
Are Heath Bars better than Kit-Kat?

B U M M E R ! !

One of the first lessons I remember Momma teaching me, the recipe for preparing a bowl of cold cereal.
Pour the cereal into the bowl. Dump in the milk. Sprinkle a spoon of sugar on top.
I endured the sugar for years, probably until ~13 or so, before I had the genius stroke: - sear, you don't actually HAVE TO sprinkle the sugar -

Not sure what's the cause, what's the affect. But that was about the end of my sweet tooth.

Recreational food. Bad idea. You're ahead of the curve m #2.

Yeah that was my mother too, it was years before I realised that most of them were disgustingly sweet WITHOUT the extra sugar.

Several once popular cereal brands are pretty much banned here, they cant be advertised and could not be sold without seriously reducing the sugar content - they reduced the sugar and they tasted like wet cardboard no one bought them so they stopped making them

I'm a fan of tasteless food.
If most of what I ate was spectacularly delicious I would weigh more.
Way more.
By maintaining my disgraceful culinary performance level, I eat to live, not live to eat. I'm still several pounds over weight. But at least I don't have stretch marks on my Buick.

The children's cereal / sugar scandal is an open secret in the U.S.
iirc there are some children's cereals (produced in shapes of cartoon characters?) whose largest single ingredient is sugar, possibly over 50% if that's possible.
The consequence:
- the parents buy the cereal because it's what their nagging children demand
- the schools are left with the behavior problem as the kids can't get over their sugar high seated at a desk in the classroom, so
- the kids are prescribed Ritalin to calm them down
and the cycle repeats, until the kids switch to bourbon.

Regarding the epicurean delight of wet cardboard, nutritionist Carlton Fredricks PhD said: if bacteria are smart enough to not eat food like breakfast cereal that's been lying around for a year, you should be too.
BUT !!
I'm a gargantuan fan of long shelf-life food. If I buy a loaf of bread and don't cram it in the freezer on day of purchase, it starts growing pretty colors in a week or so.
But Shredded Wheat breakfast cereal, though more costly per pound than bread, is probably nutritionally similar, and has a shelf-life bowling balls envy.

Thus ends sear's typing exercise for the day.

My brother in law was raised in a large family.
He learned to eat the best he could get, when he could get it. "Save it for later" usually meant a sibling would beat him to it.

But what about others? Only children, or those accustomed to a little more courtesy?

Momma said if you eat the one you like most (from those that remain), you'll always eat your favorite.

That runs counter to "save the best for last", the notion upon which dessert is timed (after the ordeal of cramming broccoli down the pie hole is endured).

What's right?
Are Heath Bars better than Kit-Kat?
heath bars are disgusting( DO NOT tell my bestie i said that, he's toffee geek) , kit kat, 7/10. give me reese's cups , 3 musketeers, snickers or any kind of non chewy sour candy, then i'll know you love me, lol!
what we always did was this- when we got home, we dumped our bags out on the dining room table and picked out what we DIDN'T like first, then those were a free for all( i have 2 sibs,one is 4 years older, the other is 6 years younger) for the other sibs. i'm allergic( lethally) to coconut, so those went into the " dead to me" pile. big brother despised peanut butter, so those got shared between baby sister and i. SHE hates nougat, so that was between me and big brother. what was left( and there was plenty) went to my 'rents.
after that came trade time. so in the end, we all ended up with what we truly liked most, and no complaints about it, since we all went to different hoods to trick or treat until baby sister was older.

B U M M E R ! !

One of the first lessons I remember Momma teaching me, the recipe for preparing a bowl of cold cereal.
Pour the cereal into the bowl. Dump in the milk. Sprinkle a spoon of sugar on top.
I endured the sugar for years, probably until ~13 or so, before I had the genius stroke: - sear, you don't actually HAVE TO sprinkle the sugar -

Not sure what's the cause, what's the affect. But that was about the end of my sweet tooth.

Recreational food. Bad idea. You're ahead of the curve m #2.
see, now this is all greek to me. when i was growing up, dry cereal was something we got occasionally for a snack during movie nights, never for breakfast and never with milk. i still eat apple jacks, froot loops and cap'n crunch as an occasional snack. :) * i can't find quisp anymore, or that'd be on my list*

b #6
What a Halloween snapshot! That's family the way it ought to be !

b #7
You had "movie nights"?!?! And whizz about the neighborhood on flying carpets?

Ever have anything so delicious you couldn't stop eating it?
It happened to me 3 times, none of the 3 anything to be proud of. I'm just a weak-willed hedonist, in recovery most of the time.

b #6
What a Halloween snapshot! That's family the way it ought to be !

b #7
You had "movie nights"?!?! And whizz about the neighborhood on flying carpets?

Ever have anything so delicious you couldn't stop eating it?
It happened to me 3 times, none of the 3 anything to be proud of. I'm just a weak-willed hedonist, in recovery most of the time.
we did! i grew up in massachusetts , and we had UHF tv. horror movies, all day, all night, every weekend! so friday and saturday nights were set aside for those. sunday nights was the disney movie and the nbc movie of the week, with pizza from the central.
as we got older, yes, we went out with friends sometimes, but mostly they came to our house for movie nights instead. i had cool parents!
as for eating myself sick, YUP. mostly from my own cooking though, to be honest, or discovering a new candy. i started cooking at 6, and i'm VERY good at it, so there were many n ew recipes i ate far too much of, lol!

i grew up in massachusetts ,
Oh how I long to be 'roun
ol' Belchertown !

b #9
Your descriptions of your childhood, family life are beyond my wildest dreams. The present a profile of a family unit that is highly functional, and engaged in the essence of constructive family.
Not even so much that I never knew it, but didn't seem even to know what I was missing.

So far your two descriptions have been like a vacation for me, in an alternate universe time machine, to go back and see what it could have been like. Interesting experience for me.

it's strange for me to look back and think about all of the harassment i got because we weren't wealthy, i have a weird name( barri) and a kansas accent. but at the same time, so many of my friends told me that the bullies did that because of THEIR parents attitudes, and that what they really wanted was to be part of my family circle. and now, at 61, i believe my friends were right.
my parents weren't well educated in the school sense, but my house was filled with books, and there was a new set of encyclopedias every 2 years, no matter what my 'rents had to give up for themselves. we had a supper ritual of strange discussions that always involved my dad saying to one of us" honey, can you look that up and tell us about it? " the UFO discussions went on for YEARS, lol!
i don't it was ever just us 3 kids, there was always a cousin or friend living with us too, until my 'rents could help them get on better at home. it was just..well, normal, you know? we had parental respect, they thought all kids should, and they helped many to get it, and helped kids respect their parents too.

My second steady paycheck high school job, the first on dry land, was at a Flying A gasoline & service station. One of the mechanics there, Buck, was a practical guy. He taught me how to do "a brake job" etc.
But I heard him use the term "book learnin'", leaving me to later realize not only may he not have had a high school education, but perhaps could not read well, if at all.

The diploma I have is from high school, but I revere higher ed.
I had the spectacular good fortune to work in high tech, with a horde of advanced degree, world class engineers. I went to 3 different colleges, never got a diploma. BUT !!
I got my education working with those engineers! Engineers are the sorcerers of the modern age.

All that to say, I suppose if at all that makes me an "auto-didact", meaning self-taught. I owe an enormous amount to sources like mark mywords.

Rightly, or perhaps merely in my imagination I perceive a little luminous aura surrounding those like your parents that surpassed a simple education with wisdom cultivated on their own. It's more than inspirational.
Pappy might have had a baccalaureate, Mom probably not. They were both talented, creative, both writers.

One of the things that interests me about this is how the generations influence one another. You are their creation.

BTW
I think Mom & I did a UFO discussion or two, including a reference to the Holy Bible. Mom, I and a mutual friend even watched The Andromeda Strain on TV. Not sure UFO / ET reveals much. But I think it contextualizes.

R #13
Seems like your POV is born of experience R #13. Glad you're leaving the machine guns and land mines out of it. ;)

My second steady paycheck high school job, the first on dry land, was at a Flying A gasoline & service station. One of the mechanics there, Buck, was a practical guy. He taught me how to do "a brake job" etc.
But I heard him use the term "book learnin'", leaving me to later realize not only may he not have had a high school education, but perhaps could not read well, if at all.

The diploma I have is from high school, but I revere higher ed.
I had the spectacular good fortune to work in high tech, with a horde of advanced degree, world class engineers. I went to 3 different colleges, never got a diploma. BUT !!
I got my education working with those engineers! Engineers are the sorcerers of the modern age.

All that to say, I suppose if at all that makes me an "auto-didact", meaning self-taught. I owe an enormous amount to sources like mark mywords.

Rightly, or perhaps merely in my imagination I perceive a little luminous aura surrounding those like your parents that surpassed a simple education with wisdom cultivated on their own. It's more than inspirational.
Pappy might have had a baccalaureate, Mom probably not. They were both talented, creative, both writers.

One of the things that interests me about this is how the generations influence one another. You are their creation.

BTW
I think Mom & I did a UFO discussion or two, including a reference to the Holy Bible. Mom, I and a mutual friend even watched The Andromeda Strain on TV. Not sure UFO / ET reveals much. But I think it contextualizes.
i have 4 nieces, the oldest is my brother's child, the other 3 are the babies i helped to raise, twins and a single, 11 years between them. the oldest, who i have no contact with now, is a reader, and so is the youngest. the twins, not so much,, but all of THEIR kids are voracious readers because of my sister and i. we're ALL movie mavens, lol!

"3 are the babies i helped to raise" b #15
That has to form a very special bond.
For an embarrassing portion of my life (until recently) I thought the reason children lacked adult smarts was a simple matter mostly of education, experience. I'd read that the human brain / mind continues to grow, mature for decades. I read it, perhaps knew it in some sense, didn't really embrace it.
But I can believe helping to raise humans is a unique experience, memorable, rewarding.
I've never done it. I've never changed a diaper. Until contemplating your #15 I might have thought of it as dodging a bullet. On further consideration it makes me think I at least should consider getting a cat.

That has to form a very special bond.
For an embarrassing portion of my life (until recently) I thought the reason children lacked adult smarts was a simple matter mostly of education, experience. I'd read that the human brain / mind continues to grow, mature for decades. I read it, perhaps knew it in some sense, didn't really embrace it.
But I can believe helping to raise humans is a unique experience, memorable, rewarding.
I've never done it. I've never changed a diaper. Until contemplating your #15 I might have thought of it as dodging a bullet. On further consideration it makes me think I at least should consider getting a cat.
you know what? human children under the age of 3 are a great deal like cats under 6 months old. headstrong, curious and scary smart with how fast they learn. and especially how fast they learn to manipulate an adult human, lol! we didn't have our own kids, and i AM glad we didn't. but the reason for being glad has changed many times. after helping raise my nieces, i now know i'd have been a terrible full time parent. i'm way too overprotective.

"scary smart with how fast they learn. and especially how fast they learn to manipulate an adult human, lol!" b #18
30 years ago I worked in a lab planted thick with hard science advanced degree engineers, etc.
So there was a spectrum, from high school grads, tech. school grads, up to PhD level engineers.
What I noticed was:
around grad. school level ed or so, there was a transition of dominance. Below the threshold, emotion dominated. They might have smiled more, seemed more spontaneous.
But around year 6 of college or so, the balance seemed to me to tilt toward the scientist, to the analytical.

Young children can indeed be wicked smart. By and large they seem to operate on evaluating emotion. They may be weak at logic, or perhaps in expressing their logical deductions, as that's a skill they simply may not have mastered at that age.
I don't doubt a parental bond to children they raise is among the most powerful human emotions, and one of the greatest human rewards. It easily explains how a mother could storm into a burning building to rescue her child.
tasty and succulent?
"Roses are red, and ready for plucking,
she's 16, and ready for high school." Kurt Vonnegut

Back